Sweet Lily

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ah...the weekend is here.

I love my weekends. Who doesn't? Nothing is better than waking up and not having any plans. You just wing it for the day. One of my favorite things I look forward to is my coffee ritual on the weekend. Although I enjoy this every day of the week, on Sat & Sun it is much more special and this is why:




  • first off I grind my beans fresh on Saturday (during the week it is just too loud and the walls between our houses are thin and that makes me a great neighbour).
  • I only use organic kicking horse coffee (Three Sisters, Kootenay Crossing or Z-Wrangler) and I forgo the drip coffee machine and use a 1 cup filter process (Ezra's Pound uses this method).
  • On Saturdays I make a big coffee and drink while I am reading the paper and on Sundays I actually froth my milk and make a latte that would rival Starbucks.
  • I use only organic harmony cream for my coffee and for those close friends of mine...they know just how sticky I am about cream let alone organic cream (remember NYC?).
  • I enjoy my cuppa java while reading the paper, reading blogs, or catching up on the news on-line and when it is sunny and warm outside I will head out to the porch with a good book or throw it in a to go cup and walk with my dog.
  • Lastly, when up at C.I. I have more time to use the mocha on the stove and head to the beach with my journal in hand.

NYC Coffee Story: celebrating a milestone birthday with 3 of my girlfriends we wake up the first morning in the flat we were staying at in need of coffee. One of my friends sets off to find coffee to bring back for us as we really needed the shot of caffine to kick us into our day of mega shopping. My friend comes back having to only go a couple blocks for some java all smiles at having completed the task at hand in record time. The smell of coffee swirling around the small NYC flat....we were petty happy. Big thanks went out to our friend for venturing out so early in the morning .....but what do I do? Well, first off I have to make accomodations that it is not organic coffee but what made matters worse for me was that there was no cream at all....just milk. I can be pretty flexible on many things but my day is not off to a good start without my coffee ritual. I can't stay quiet for too long and have opted out of drinking coffee all together at this point. My lovely friend who has one of the biggest hearts I know volunteers to go and get cream for me. She felt responsible and knew that her job in getting coffee was not going to be complete unless she found and brought back cream for me. And so she did : )

So what is the moral of this story? Well a couple things come to mind. Don't ever serve me coffee without cream and organic cream prefered. Also, what comes to mind is that they don't have organic coffee in Vietnam let alone organic cream. I will be lucky to get cream. Or perhaps I need to be more adaptable to various hot drinks (hypnosis could work). Hmmm lots to think about and enough time to come up with a specific plan.

Note to self....modify coffee system for Vietnam or have an intervention before I go.

2 comments:

  1. paula,
    i am cream crazy and won't drink coffee without it. as a single gal, my fridge often contained only prosecco and cream. i will try organic. the truth is that i'm a bit afraid to because i don't need another thing to be picky about. i hope you're well.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. L,
    Once you go to organic cream it is really hard to go back. Try it and see as it is in many of the grocery stores.
    Life if good and can't wait to get out of the city and head north if ya know what I mean...nudge nudge wink wink.
    P

    ReplyDelete