Sweet Lily

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

I was invited to speak at a volunteer training forum yesterday for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. It was such a beautiful day in Toronto with the sun shining and the temperature warming up everyone's face.

This was only my second time speaking in front of a large group and sharing my story. My nerves were with me, not leaving my side. I spoke for about 15 minutes and actually remember most of it. Asking for a tissue part way through as I caught myself in a moment I noticed many others doing the same. I felt I was with a group of friends. It was such a warm and supportive environment.

What I did not expect was the meeting of a young woman afterwards who did not ask me about breast cancer, rather, she thanked me for sharing my story and then told me that she had been adopted and often felt as though she was not really wanted. After hearing about my own adoption journey of Lily, she shared with me that after so many years a light has come on and has a different perspective.

I was so blown away by meeting her and so happy that only a few sentences, albeit a few within a very emotional story could impact someone the way it did.

You just never know where your journey is going to take you or who you will meet along the way. It was just such an incredible afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment